- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds ground chicken breast (substitute with ground hamburger if desired)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 14-oz can stewed tomatoes (or fire-roasted chopped tomatoes)
- 1 cup medium heat taco sauce (or picante salsa)
- 1 15-oz can black beans, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 8 8-in spinach flour tortillas, available in dairy aisle of market (substitute with regular tortillas if desired)
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar or shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil – twice around the pan. Add chicken (or beef) and season with chili powder, cumin, and red onion. Brown the meat, 5 minutes. Add stewed tomatoes or fire-roasted chopped tomatoes and taco sauce (or salsa). Add black beans and corn. Heat the mixture through, 2 to 3 minutes then season with salt, to your taste.
Coat a shallow baking dish with remaining extra-virgin olive oil, about 1 tablespoon oil. Cut the tortillas in half or quarters to make them easy to layer with. Build lasagna in layers of meat and beans, then tortillas, then cheese. Repeat: meat, tortilla, cheese again. Bake lasagna 12 to 15 minutes until cheese is brown and bubbly.